No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Just 5 Sundays to Go!!

Sure, summer's great and all. It's sunny and hot and the days are long. There's ice cream a-plenty. But come the beginning of August, I start to get anxious for the arrival of September. Sure, I be a bit sad to see summer drift off into a hazy, lazy oblivion - but the rewards of September are worth it. Yes folks, we're just 37 short days away from the official kick-off of another glorious NFL Season.

As a Canadian, I am contractually obligated to be a hockey fan (and, of course I am - Go Leafs Go!). But it's football that I really love. Not the actually-soccer-but-every-other-country-in-the-world-calls-it-football kind of football. And not the marginal pass-and-punt-and-go-bankrupt style practiced up here in Canada. Nope, I love the real, honest-to-goodness, tailgating, head-smashing, touchdown-celebrating, are-you-ready-for-some-football kind of football.

You can bet there'll be some Monday-morning football blogs come the Fall. But in the meantime, here are the games I'm most looking forward to. Mark your calendars, kids!

Indianapolis Colts at New York Giants
Sunday, September 9
It's Manning versus Manning, as Eli tries yet again to prove he is every bit as good as his big bro' Peyton. Is he? Probably not just yet. Maybe never. He's definitely got talent, but it remains to be seen if Eli's willing to put in the hours of homework Peyton's so renowned for - and whether Burress or Toomer can become Eli's Marvin Harrison. Regardless, this competition is always fun to watch. Plus, the Colts are my team. Go Colts.

Atlanta Falcons at New Orleans Saints
Monday, September 25
Football returns to New Orleans, and to the refurbished Superdome, for the first time since Katrina. On a Monday night to boot, this'll be an emotional highlight of the season.

Dallas Cowboys at Philadelphia Eagles
Sunday, October 8
Party at my house! T.O. takes to Lincoln Financial field in Philly for the first time since the Eagles suspended, then released the talented and troubled star. I, for one, cannot wait to see what happens. One thing about T.O., you know it won't be boring. It's Canadian Thanksgiving that weekend, and I'll pass up the turkey and stuffing for this game.

Baltimore Ravens at Tennessee Titans
Sunday, November 12
Assuming he can make it to November injury-free, this'll be Steve's McNair's return to Tennessee, to play the team that treated him pretty shabbily this off-season. After 9 years of service from McNair, Tennessee traded the 3-time Pro-bowler to the Ravens for a fourth-round draft pick. But not before trying to cut his salary and refusing to allow him to work out on their property in the weeks before he was traded. Classy.

And so many more. Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, Indy and New England, and on and on. It's just 17 weeks of joy (then even more play-off joy).

I can hardly wait. Just 5 more Sundays to go.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:31 a.m., Blogger Jef... said…

    I sympathise with you in advence for the season you're about to live with the Leafs, I don't remember seeing them so far from the playoffs as I do now.. hopefully for you, they are youngs players I don't know about.

    I have to say that my habs don't look that much better but the young players are doing good and brighter days lies ahead..

    Go Habs Go ! :0)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home