No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Friday, August 25, 2006

2 directors, 50 characters, a whole lot of bloggy fans


Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the best TV show of all time. It was funny, it was sad, it was scary and it was dead-on brilliant in its depiction of high school as hell. So, Buffy creator Joss Whedon is pretty much my hero. As such, I was quite interested to see his take on the 25 Greatest TV Characters of All Time. Where did Whedon's sudden desire to create pop-culture lists spring from? It all started with a MySpace list by Slither director James Gunn. Gunn's list included his wife (Jenna Fisher, who plays Pam on The Office and his brother Sean Gunn (who plays Kirk on Gilmore Girls). It included Buffy too, but not the captain from Serenity, which got the collective panties of Whedon's fans in a collective on-line knot. Whedon caught wind of it, wrote up his own list (wisely omitting any of his characters as a little too self-aggrandizing) and the rival lists got written up all over, including the websites of USA Today and Entertainment Weekly.

First off, Serenity fans need to calm the heck down. It was on for, like, 5 minutes. The movie fizzled like Snakes on a Plane. Get over it. Maybe watch Battlestar Gallactica or something. I hear Tricia Helfer's on it. I hear she's hot.

Second, I love that two fancy director/producer types (neither of whom are Kevin Smith) are spending their time blogging about TV. Too funny.

Third, I MUST make my own list. It's a compulsion. I can't help it. Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home