No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Anne Eternal

On Canada Day long weekend, I started reading Anne of Green Gables to my 7-year-old niece (and her 5-year-old sister, who seemed less enthralled and more squirmy). It had been years since I'd read the book myself - but when I was 12, I must have read it dozens of times.

I loved that Anne was quirky, funny, overly dramatic and not all that enamoured with her own freckly appearance. I can't imagine a fictional character with whom I could have so closely identified. I just loved her, and her over-the-topic poetic imagination, gentle hometown, bosom friend Diana and destined-to-be love Gilbert. Plus she was Canadian.

As I read the first few chapters aloud the other week, I was surprised at how much fun it still was. And how much my niece enjoyed it.

Turns out, this is Anne's 100th birthday, and a few other people are taking note too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home