No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Rocking It on Idol

So 'Rocker' David Cook beat out 'Cherubic-and-sexually-non-threatening' David Archuleta on American Idol.



Yes, I watch it. I'm not ashamed (okay, I'm only slightly ashamed). And I did think Cook was pretty good. He did reasonably cool alt-rock versions of Lionel Ritchie's Hello, Mariah Carey's Always Be My Baby and Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean. He gave off the teensiest bit of edge - which on Idol made him the official rocker poster-boy.



Now, on the grand scheme of things, Cook is no more a rocker than Taylor Hicks is a soul singer. Rock is dangerous. And Cook just isn't. Because American Idol is about appealing to the masses (and to Coca Cola, lets not forget). In the end, Cook is way closer to Archuleta than to Iggy Pop on the edgy-rock-god scale. But he had some imagination, didn't remind me at all of Clay Aiken and might make some interesting music someday. All in all, not a bad pick.



Now on to So You Think You Can Dance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home