No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Friday, December 15, 2006

The Confederacy Conspiracy

I'm not usually one for pointing to other articles in my blog, but I found this one particularly interesting. It's about the (so-far) fruitless quest to bring John Kennedy Toole's book 'A Confederacy of Dunces' to the big screen. It's been a long and torturous process, all the more interesting given that the book itself had a long, torturous path to the Pulitzer Prize. Toole, who committed suicide before the book was published, might have remained a forgotten, unpublished author if not for the perseverance of Toole's mother, who pushed and begged and did everything she could to get the book out there. Evan that tenacity may not be enough to get the film made - leading men have died, the city where the film is set - New Orleans - was irrevocably changed by Hurricane Katrina - challenges are everywhere.

Ironically, the saga of the book and the film may be more engaging than the book itself. The book has some passionate fans; many claim it is a work of comic genius. That, for me, is a bit much. I'm not sure I've ever read a book with such a relentlessly unpleasant, unlikable lead character. I mean, Holden Caulfield can be a tool and Humbert Humbert is absolutely a sick pervert, but Ignatius Reilly can be deeply irritating and unsympathetic is way neither of them can match. Yet the book is worth a read for the supporting characters and the absurdly amusing plot. Give it whirl, because at this rate, you may never get to see the movie.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I approve this message.

    Yes, Confederency of the Dunces is a terrific book, and you would do worse than to go to the nearest bookstore and plop down a bill for it. Or get a slightly used copy for cheap at any used book store.

    The last casting possibility I heard was Will Farrell, but that was at least a year or so ago. I agree with Jenster that I don't know if it will ever get made. And I suppose for a bastard child of a book, published only after the author killed himself and being his only notable work, maybe it's for the best.?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home