No Such Nonsense

A little of this, that and... what was I talking about again? It's TV, sports, pop culture and politics - all the stuff that really matters in life.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

300 sets of finely chiseled abs

The weary hubby and I went to see The 300 on Saturday. It's a rare occurrence, since the weary hubby and I are usually far too cheap to splash out on an actual movie theatre showing of anything not involving hobbits. The ads looked intriguing, so we checked it out.

And, oh boy, was that a lot of man flesh. Remember Troy, where the filmmaker spent a lot of time lingering over Brad Pitt's oily be-toga-ed body? Multiply that by 300, with smaller togas. And remember in Alexander, where the filmmaker made a point of showing off some Rosario Dawson nipple? Multiple that by a harem, add in a weird oracle and even a queen.

Lots of nip. Lots of abs. Lots of graphic violence in the arty, graphic-novel sense of the term.

It was interesting, actually, to see a movie that sometimes felt like a fueled-up blend of Troy and Sin City, without all the ponderous plot of the former and with fewer bright yellow characters than the latter. Author/artist Frank Miller's visual influence was perfectly clear and livened things up considerably. That said, The 300 is not a film that puts a whole lot of emphasis on plot - or much stress on your brain. Its plot is a bit like Gladiator light. Which doesn't mean it isn't a whole lot of fun.

One of my favourite lame running jokes with weary hubby (I have a great weakness for lame running jokes, weary hubby is slightly less fond): Every time we see Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers I ask 'I wonder if there are any good fight scenes in it.' Given that half the movie is devoted to the Battle of Helm's Deep, I amuse myself every time. The 300 goes one better - it's all fight scene - epic, violent, gory, filled with death rattles and strangely subdued amounts of blood.

Weary hubby left wanting to see it again. I left with a new appreciation of Spartan abs.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    greg enjoyed it as well as well as all the one liners too - i opted out of seeing it.

     
  • At 9:33 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Les and I saw it too. My thoughts once I got overloaded half naked men. Did they digitally enhance the abs? Did the Spartans really only wear a cape and little black underwear in the winter? What was the name of my classics professor?
    -Amy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home